Saturday, 12 January 2013

Somethings are Very Obvious.


Shades of Grey and a Touch of Red

Yesterday I did another of my pen and Ink Drawings and delivered it to the customer who had asked me to do this particular building. It seems that I have discovered what to others seems obvious; people like to have art in their home that means something to them.

It took a very dear friend to tell me this; or at least to gently remind me that this was life.  I have a head full of abstract paintings that I would love to commit to canvas and yet I am getting more and more requests for pen and ink paintings.

My blogger friends, those who still visit my blog, seem to think that I should keep doing this. Anyway, the problem for the moment is solved. I discovered yesterday that I had sold a painting twice. It is easy to do when you hang paintings in a public space and also make the available on your website at the same time.

So in the next two days or so I have to do another of my Castle painting.  Fortunately the people involved are not at all concerned that they will have similar paintings.

Sometimes the obvious is the last thing we see.  Let me share a funny story with you. Before I do maybe I have to explain to some that as a boy I watched a programme on television with the main characters being, The Lone Ranger and his Indian sidekick Tonto. I always had a great love for the character Tonto. Of the two he always seemed to be the thinker.

The Lone Ranger and Tonto went camping in the desert. After they got their tent all set up, both men fell sound asleep. 
Some hours later, Tonto wakes the Lone Ranger and says, "Kemosabe, look towards sky, what you see?"

The Lone Ranger replies, "I see millions of stars."


"What that tell you?" asked Tonto.


The Lone Ranger ponders for a minute then says,
"Astronomically speaking, it tells me there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets.  

Astrologically, it tells me that Saturn is in Leo.


Time wise, it appears to be approximately a quarter past three in the morning. 


Theologically, the Lord is all-powerful and we are small and insignificant.


Meteorologically, it seems we will have a beautiful day tomorrow.


“What's it tell you, Tonto?"


“You dumber than buffalo chip.   Someone stole the tent,"
 Says Tonto.

I have decided that from now on I will only post this one blog. Anything I have to say about the artwork used I will say on here. I am aware that it is a menace for readers to have to switch to another blog, for more of the same.

Shades of Gray and a Touch of Red.

The painting used today is one of my latest abstracts.  I painted it somewhat tongue in check when I kept overhearing people speaking about a book that I certainly felt I had no desire to read.

I sued only three colours to paint it. It has been hanging in one of my inns where I am aware that at least two people are interested in purchasing it, but I wait in uncertain hope.

14 comments:

  1. Good Morning Ralph, I'm still here, even passed my last check up yesterday! Must be more to do! I like all of your painting and selling two of the same drawings just proves my point: these need to be collectible prints.
    I think people fall off the blogroll because it is like mining and when, for them, they don't strike some mineral or whatever they are after, they move on. Too many people want to be in agreement and are only hunting for collaborators. Me? I like a little spice in my soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If your goal is sales, you have to paint what the people want. If your goal is for your own growth and satisfaction, then you paint what you want. Easy to say though, eh? I like the color combinations in this piece, though I've never been a fan of the abstract. Loved the story about the Lone Ranger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ralph. So happy to hear your pen and inks are selling and possibly your abstracts too. Sounds like a great start to the new year! Funny how sometimes the obvious is so close to our nose we miss it... I'll need to remember that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the sales! There's an old adage that goes something like this: do what you love and love what you do. Seems like you're doing both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ralph, I am glad you will be using one blog. That's great! Congratulations on the sales...I am sure this one will sell too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A double booked painting, what a wonderful dilema to have. People do like work that has meaning to them...I know I alwasy appreciate work that has a story behind it. Have you ever considered adding a paragraph with your thoughts behind your abstract paintings? As a way for the viewer to relate to you in a new way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a dilemma I always have Susan. One part of me says not to restrict the thoughts of others, they may see more in it than I ever did. The other side of me want to do the opposite and say what was going on in my mind..

      Delete
  7. OH RALPH that story is too funny and I must share it with my husband who will get a KICK out of that! THE OBVIOUS is obviously too difficult for many of us to see. AMEN!

    I am so thrilled to meet you. I was very intrigued yesterday as I stumbled upon your blog somehow. To see that you visited me was a sweet surprise. I love the title of your blog and I think this is a place where I can find KINSHIP for I am a French teacher turned "artist." Hmmmmmmm....it has already been a wake-up call to many of my thinking skills that I have not yet had to put into full gear. Working in a teaching environment for nine years where things were settled and secure left my creativity limited and complacent. As a teacher, I had my own creative challenges to meet, but I was getting PAID for that, so it was never a problem. Now that I have resigned and am trying to create from my heart, the question of business, pleasing clients and seeking meaningful uses for my art for a practical economy is challenging for sure.

    I am joining your site and just know that whatever you share will be greatly appreciated by this artist and sometimes poet who just wants to BE.

    HAPPY DAY OUT THERE in the UK! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ralph, I like this painting and your Lone Ranger/Tonto story made me laugh. Have you read the Amazon reviews of the book whose title inspired you? They will make you laugh and realize you made the right decision about reading the book:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a beautiful work Ralph, nice to hear about the sales.The story though funy is a nice reminder of losing on the present moment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ralph.
    Thank you for visiting my page. Your work is absolutely wonderful!! :) I'm glad we've connected and look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this abstract and the limited palette. Will surely sell, it's great !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow..amazing work sir. You have a God-given talent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love your castle drawing, I went to that blog first today. I enjoyed the painting above too. Funny story!

    ReplyDelete